Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Long time no see

Just a very brief blog today to say hello after too long. Sorry to have neglected Daddy Travel Writer but as you can see by some of the cross-posts (that's links to posts on my other blog rather than angry rants!) I've been pretty busy with my blog for Our Patch, Australia's national community based website.

Today sees the launch of a new local forum for those of us that live in Pacific Palms on Our Patch and I am hopeful that it will start contributing to our sense of community. As a collection of villages with a disparate population and a lot of families with young kids, this is a hard thing to do. A few of us have wanted a forum for some time so this is good.

I'm presently struggling on the work front with two very unreasonable contracts, one of which was delivered after I had written a story to a brief and a commission. I am having more contact from legal departments of publishers than from my editors at the moment and it's got me stuck a quarter of the way through writing up my epic journey through the Northwest Passage. I hate that the publishing world has become so cut-throat and that writers just cannot just write anymore, they have to take legal advice before they have a word published. One of my publishers wants me to indemnify them (ie put my house on the line) if I write a single word for them and won't pay me or publish a story, written to a previous brief and commission and delivered on time, unless I do..

No more trips planned for a while as I have some parenting to make up after my three extraordinary weeks in the Canadian Arctic. Mila had her third birthday in September and we're coming up to Freya's first birthday. She is haring about the house on all fours at the moment.

Got to go now, contracts to negotiate, oh and I'd love to be able to get back to my work...

No comments:

Post a Comment